
The Southern Transitional Council denied that it was disbanding on Saturday, contradicting a statement by one of its members that the group had decided to dissolve itself.
Yemen's main separatist group, the Southern Transitional Council, denied that it was disbanding on Saturday, contradicting a statement by one of its members that the group had decided to dissolve itself.
The conflicting statements highlight a split in the STC, a group backed by the United Arab Emirates that seized parts of southern and eastern Yemen in December in advances that heightened tensions with another Gulf power, Saudi Arabia.
Saudi Arabia and the UAE used to work together in a coalition battling the Iranian-backed terrorist organization, the Houthis, in Yemen's civil war, but the STC advances exposed their rivalry, bringing into focus big differences on a wide range of issues across the Middle East, ranging from geopolitics to oil output.
Saudi-backed forces retake STC seized land
Saudi-backed fighters have largely retaken the areas of southern and eastern Yemen that the STC seized, and an STC delegation has traveled to the Saudi capital Riyadh for talks.
But STC leader Aidarous al-Zubaidi skipped the planned meetings and fled Yemen on Wednesday, and the Saudi-led coalition accused the UAE of helping him escape on a flight that was tracked to a military airport in Abu Dhabi.
In an announcement broadcast on Saudi state media on Friday, one of the group's members said the STC had decided to disband.
In a statement issued on Saturday, the STC said it had held an "extraordinary meeting" following the announcement in Riyadh and declared it "null and void," saying it had been made "under coercion and pressure."
The group also said its members in Riyadh had been detained and were being "forced to issue statements."
The STC reiterated calls for mass protests in southern cities on Saturday, warning against any attempts that target the group's "peaceful activities."
Authorities in Aden that are aligned with Yemen's Saudi-backed government on Friday ordered a ban on demonstrations in the southern city, citing security concerns, according to an official directive seen by Reuters.
LATEST POSTS
- 1
German gas price bill signed into law, but consumers not impressed - 2
Mexican Woman Accused of Assaulting Partner With Belt After He Refused Sex, Police Say - 3
Instructions to Comprehend and Use Open Record Extra Offers - 4
6 US States for Fly Fishing - 5
Gen Z workplace stereotypes were TV’s favorite punchline in 2025
How does Spotify Wrapped calculate your listening age? What your number says about you.
What’s the shadowy organisation taking Gaza Palestinians to South Africa?
The most effective method to Move toward Compensation Conversations for Cutting edge Practice Enrolled Attendants
5 VIP Voice Exhibitions in Energized Movies
Fetterman says he's back home after a fall put the Pennsylvania senator in the hospital
Famous Rough terrain Vehicles for 2024
Tributes pour in for James Ransone, 'The Wire' actor who died at 46
Inflammatory Merz remarks on migrants' violence against women slammed
An ex-FBI agent analyzes what we learned from Savannah Guthrie's 'Today' show interview amid the search for her mother Nancy












